Monday, November 7, 2011

The Build Up



As far as Thanksgiving goes, I am a big fan of being thankful. Thankfully, I grew up in a family where the TV did not take a starring role in the day & my Dad was not a big football fan. Appetizers played a key role, building up to the long-awaited bird...waiting, waiting, waiting...Personally, the side dishes, the snacks, the accompaniments are always much more fascinating to me than the turkey itself, but to each their own. I know some people get very excited about a giant roasted big breasted creature...If you are like me & think the nibbles along the way are interesting (and also serve as a diversion, should the whole 'family thing' get a bit much), here is a delicious recipe. I like Pink Slip Jam Gingered Pear Conserve. I mess about with the cheese, too. Sometimes I use goat cheese. Sometimes I use a good Cheddar. Sometimes I go full-bore & use some sort of Asiago or Parmesan. You choose! I also confess to 'cheating': I use either Pepperidge Farm pastry cups or sometimes I buy dough from the local baker & fit pieces into muffin tins. This will give you a starting point.


Cheese & Pear Tarts
                                          

Ingredients

  • 4 ounces blue cheese, crumbled
  • 1 ripe pear - peeled, cored, and chopped
  • 2 tablespoons light cream
  • ground black pepper to taste
  • 1 (2.1 ounce) package mini phyllo tart shells

Directions

  1. Prebake phyllo shells according to package directions. Set aside to cool.
  2. Mix together blue cheese, pear, and cream. Season to taste with pepper. Spoon mixture into cooled shells.
  3. Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 15 minutes. Serve warm.

People will think you've spent loads of time & they'll be happy. Then they can be thankful YOU made something really tasty. 

1 comment:

  1. Suz - you are onto something posting your delicious recipes. I enjoy them. Keep them coming, it will entice me to buy UR jams. ha. love Unow, Nan

    ReplyDelete