Wednesday, November 9, 2011

The Year We Spared a Turkey

When my sons were very little, a relative who meant well gave them a picture book about a beleaguered turkey who was in danger of becoming Thanksgiving dinner for a 'mean old fox'. Fair enough, except the boys' last name is the same as their Father's, which happens to be 'Fox'. Say what you will about family dynamics, but this book created quite a stir. We had already had a difficult dinner involving kabobs, whereby I had had to explain that we were NOT about to begin eating 'Mary's Little Lamb'.  It was a season fraught with mealtime angst. I applaud children who ask these sorts of questions. Cooking for them can be a whole 'nother issue. In any case, that particular year I made Butternut Squash Garlic & Sage Lasagna from the November 1995 issue of Gourmet Magazine. I'd reprint it here, but the website Epicurious has all sorts of ads & additional swag that I don't want to print or read. You probably don't want to either. If you are considering serving something other than a gleaming roasted example of plump poultry, this may be a good way to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment