Saturday, January 7, 2012

A Really Good Idea...

In January many people swear off carbs, go to the gym more frequently, and make all sorts of resolutions. I don't think a person has to wait until January nor do I think resolutions that are prefaced with 'giving something up' are a very positive spin on new habits. For me, personally, my only real resolution has been to focus on doing activities, eating foods, and spending my time in ways that help to nourish my body & soul. It may be a stretch for some people, but I think homemade bread, toasted & served with fresh butter + Pink Slip Jam & a pot of tea is pretty close to Shangri-La in regard to the Soul Satisfaction Quotient! While I busy myself with ever more marmalade batches, here is a great recipe if you decide to make your own English Muffin Bread. It is really delicious, it makes great French Toast, and also tasty bread crumbs (if you have any left over!). Herewith is the recipe for English Muffin Bread:


  • 32 Servings
  • Prep: 15 min. Bake: 35 min.
153550

Ingredients

  • 5 cups all-purpose flour, divided
  • 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
  • 1 tablespoon sugar
  • 2 teaspoons salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
  • 2 cups warm milk (120° to 130°)
  • 1/2 cup warm water (120° to 130°)
  • Cornmeal

Directions

  • In a large bowl, combine 2 cups flour, yeast, sugar, salt and baking soda. Add warm milk and water; beat on low speed for 30 seconds, scraping bowl occasionally. Beat on high for 3 minutes.
  • Stir in remaining flour (batter will be stiff). Do not knead. Grease two 8-in. x 4-in. loaf pans. Sprinkle pans with cornmeal. Spoon batter into the pans and sprinkle cornmeal on top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 45 minutes.
  • Bake at 375° for 35 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans immediately and cool on wire racks. Slice and toast. Yield: 2 loaves. 

    If Cooking for Two: Freeze one loaf to enjoy weeks later.
If you make this, please be sure to send me a comment & let me know what you think & if you served it with jam!

No comments:

Post a Comment