Thursday, May 24, 2012

That Time of Year



If it's late May & you're in Portland, OR, you can pretty much set your watch to certain events. The Rose Festival is a tradition that goes way back. I have no idea when, where, or how Portland became known as the 'Rose City'. Seems to me that the roses do look lovely here but if memory serves, I have always heard that roses love S*U*N...Let's not get started on my general irritation with Pacific Northwest weather. As the old adage goes, 'I bought the ticket. Now I have to take the ride.' Let's just say that I like parades when it is sunny & warm. I like roses when it is sunny & warm & the scent is redolent. I like warm jam on toast. I have no idea what I was thinking upon deciding to move to Portland, OR other than it is a lovely place that has allowed Pink Slip Jam to come to er...'fruition'. (Sorry). This town embraces local small businesses like nobody's business! This town more or less forced me to realize that there were many things I could do if I just put my mind to doing it. Let's face it, no one was offering me a job. I had to create my own. Hence, Pink Slip Jam. For all my grousing about rain, I would like to offer my humble gratitude to this town. Thanks, Rose City. You are pretty sweet!

In case you decide to embrace roses in a way far different than in a bouquet, here is a little offering. If you make this, please let me know. Hint: I'd use pink tea roses. But that's just me...


Rose Petal Jam


  • 8 ounces fresh rose petals, white base trimmed off
  • 2 cups white sugar, divided
  • juice of 2 lemons
  • 3 cups water
  • 1 (1.75 ounce) package powdered fruit pectin

Directions

  1. Toss the rose petals, lemon juice, and 1 cup sugar together in a bowl until the petals are evenly coated. Let stand at room temperature overnight.
  2. Bring the water to a boil in a saucepan over medium-high heat. Stir in the rose petal mixture and reserved 1 cup of sugar; stir until the sugar has dissolved. Reduce the heat to medium-low, and simmer 20 minutes. Increase the heat to medium-high, and return the mixture to a boil for 5 minutes. Stir in the pectin, and boil for 1 minute.
  3. Pour the jam into 4 sterilized half-pint jars. Seal with rings and lids, and store in a cool dark place.



'


No comments:

Post a Comment