Saturday, January 28, 2012

Dreaming of Seville



Growing up in California, and traveling to Italy & France, I suppose I took citrus fruit for granted. Shame on me.  Never in my wildest dreams would I have imagined living somewhere where lemons, oranges, & tangerines were not plentiful. I am chagrined to admit that, as a child, I took these beautiful fruits for granted & often traded them for Oreos (imagine!)....anyway, I now live in Portland, OR where berries are plentiful in the Summer & citrus fruit costs a fortune. I am often surprised that the general population does not suffer from scurvy, All this to say, I dream of citrus fruit - luscious Meyer lemons, Clementines, Mandarins, Minneolas, Tangelos, and the list goes on. Pink Slip Jam will be offering a class on February 23, at  Salt, Fire, & Time in Portland to make a delicious beverage, vin d'orange. This is a true Summer time treat, served chilled with an ice cube, & sipped on a hot Summer day, it would be difficult to find a tastier aperitif. Stay tuned for more details on times. Suffice to say, all ingredients are included in this class, including a shipment of Seville oranges, vodka, & some rose...Participants will go home with a quart of vin d'orange to stash away till the Dog Days of Summer arrive, the recipe, & dreams of terrace dining...

No comments:

Post a Comment