Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Beautiful Blue Borage


The borage in my garden is blooming with wild abandon and the cheerful blue star-shaped flowers never cease to make me incredibly happy! I was recently reading that borage has been used for centuries in folklore & medicine to heal the heart & give courage. It was known to be served in teas & cordials to The Crusaders. I have my own feelings regarding these medieval knights who rode off to the Far East...mostly feelings of unease, yet I can imagine how much courage it must have taken. I am currently playing with the notion of using the borage growing in my garden to make syrups & perhaps a cordial altho' I have no idea if I will be able to replicate the intensity of the color. Well, nothing ventured, nothing gained! Stay tuned to see what may happen next! Perhaps it will give me courage to conjure up all sorts of new concoctions. Meanwhile, I found this recipe so you may be able to try your hand at this, too! If you decide to make some Borage Syrup, please send me a comment to let me know how it turned out!

Borage Flower Syrup



Directions:

  1. 1
    Place the borage flowers in a small bowl, cover with boiling water and leave to steep overnight.
  2. 2
    The next day, strain the liquid into a pan and bring to a boil. Pour this boiling liquid over another cupful of borage flowers. Soak for 8 to 10 hours. Strain again and press all the juices out with the back of a wooden spoon.
  3. 3
    Measure the liquid and add 1 cup of sugar for every 1 1/4 cups of water. Heat slowly until the sugar has dissolved, then boil vigorously until thickened. Remove from heat, skim and store in clean bottles or jars. Keep in refrigerator.


Read more: http://www.food.com/recipe/borage-flower-syrup-125112#ixzz1uKmr5gET

No comments:

Post a Comment