Friday, June 8, 2012

Dessert! Life's Short...



Yesterday while up to my forearms in Hood strawberries (a delicious local variety), I was informed that the interview with Leela Cyd Ross from Apartment Therapy had been posted. The photos are lovely (thank you!), the kitchen looks great (thanks, Oui Presse!), and it seems there have been some special requests for my jam crostata recipe. First & foremost, I'd like to express my gratitude for everyone who helps to support Pink Slip Jam, my stories~within~a~jar way of creative explorations. I would also like to express my thankfulness for all those lovely folks who have no problem sampling jams, chutneys, marmalades, and syrups. It's a tough job & I'm so glad you willingly opt in! Herewith the recipe:


Jam Crostata


INGREDIENTS
2 c. AP flour
3/4 c. granulated sugar
1/4 tsp. fine sea salt
1/4 tsp. ground cinnamon
1 c. unsalted butter (cut into 1/2 inch cubes)
1 egg yolk ~ I have ducks & use a duck egg, but a large chicken egg works just fine!
1/2 tsp. pure vanilla extract
1 c. jam (of course I'd recommend Pink Slip Jam, but your Aunt Mary's preserves will be great!)
10-inch fluted tart pan with a removable bottom


PREP
1. Combine flour, sugar, salt, & cinnamon in a bowl.
2. Add butter & using your hands or a food processor, work it into the flour mixture until it resembles
    course cornmeal.
3. Beat egg yolk lightly with vanilla & stir into the flour mixture with a fork.
4. Mix until dough is blended & comes together into a ball.
5. Divide dough into 2 parts (one slightly larger than the other), form into 6-inch discs, wrap in plastic,
    & refrigerate 1 hour.


BAKE
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
2. Roll larger disc of dough to fit the tart pan.
3. Spread jam evenly on top of dough.
4. Roll out the remaining dough into a 10-inch circle & with a sharp knife, cut into 12 strips.
5. Arrange 6 strips, evenly spaced over the jam; turn the tart 90 degrees, & place the remaining strips
    on top, creating a lattice pattern.
6. Place crostata in the bottom third of oven & bake until the jam is bubbly & the crust is golden (about
    30 minutes).
7. Cool to room temperature & serve - it's great on its' own, ice cream gilds the lilly, creme fraiche is
    elegant, and whipped cream is terrific. See which you like best. My personal favorite is when there
    is a slice left over & I can eat it for breakfast with a hot cup of tea.

I hope, if anyone makes this, that you will post a note or comment to let me know what you think!

No comments:

Post a Comment