Saturday, August 11, 2012

More Beet Business



My good friends Joe & Lisa are moving to Boston for a year & my neighborhood in SE Portland already feels a little less bright. Joe is a master gardner who continuously works to improve his garden at home & his community garden plot. I might also add that his crop yields are spectacular & I benefit greatly! Since it was a year for bumper crop beets, I was fortunate enough to be gifted with several pounds. I have made grated beet salad, borscht, juice, and salad of roasted beets with chevre. Today I return to my beloved canning jars to make this chutney. It will be beautiful on rice, on lentils, and in all sorts of roasts. I like the combination of coconut, mustard seed, and gorgeous red roots! So, Joe?? Lisa?? Every time I open a jar of this, I will smile. Thanks for all the garden goodies! See you in Boston this Fall! I'll bring some Pink Slip!

Beetroot Chutney

1/2 cup grated beetroot
1/4 tsp urad dal (split black lentils)
3 whole red chillies
4 to 5 curry leaves (kadi patta)
1/4 cup grated coconut
1 tbsp oil
salt to taste

For the tempering
1/4 tsp mustard seeds ( rai / sarson)
1 tsp oil


Method
  1. Heat the oil in a pan, add the urad dal, red chillies and curry leaves and sauté for a few seconds.
  2. Add the beetroot and sauté for 4 to 5 minutes.
  3. Add the coconut and salt and sauté for a further 2 to 3 minutes.
  4. Allow to cool completely.
  5. Purée to a fine paste in a blender with 2 tablespoons of water.
  6. For the tempering, heat the oil in a pan, add the mustard seeds and when the seeds crackle, pour the tempering over the beetroot chutney.
  7. Serve at room temperature.
RECIPE SOURCE : Achaar Aur ParatheBuy this cookbook

No comments:

Post a Comment